Take a breather.
Social media can be an intense place, so to combat any distressing feelings or bad vibes, we’ve complied a list of resources, activities, and feel-good stuff as a distraction ♥
Mental Health Resources
- Guides, tools and activities. Includes ‘5 steps for mental wellbeing’, ’10 stress busters’, breathing exercises, and more.
- Looking after yourself. Weirdly, this is a leadership course, but it contains short and easily accessible breathing, grounding, and relaxation techniques.
- Grounding Cards. PDF for quick access.
- NHS recommended mental health apps.
Sexual Violence Support:
These are the resources and charities listed in the article this page is linked to, but this time you won’t have to scroll past any potentially triggering content.
- Rape Crisis
- England and Wales https://rapecrisis.org.uk/
- Scotland https://www.rapecrisisscotland.org.uk/
- Northern Ireland https://rapecrisisni.org.uk/
- Ireland https://www.rcni.ie/
- Mind – information and support
- The Survivor’s Trust – a national umbrella service that can refer survivors to local specialist services
Other Mental Health Initiatives
- The Ben Raemers Foundation (@thebenraemersfoundation) – a charity focusing on/creating a dialogue about mental health within and around the skate community
- Explore – all kinds of livestreams, with plenty of cute animals and soothing landscapes (including the northern lights!)
- 100,000 Stars – take a trip through the universe.
- A Soft Murmur – calming ambient sounds.
Cheer yourself up
- The Good News Network does what it says on the tin, check out the positive stuff happening in the world.
- TED has a whoooole category of talks devoted to happiness, see them here.
- And here’s a list of TED talks related to skating, for good measure.
- I’m not sure who this guy is, but try his tips to cheer yourself up in less than a minute.
Great Time Wasters
Some less calming, potentially more time consuming distractions:
- The Useless Web -takes you to a random site, often with little to no purpose.
- Curations – make your own exhibition starring works by any artist you fancy.
- This is Sand – make piles of colourful sand, very satisfying.
- Incredibox – make some quick and easy tunes.
- Geoguessr – this game drops you at a random place on earth, and using only street view, your task is to figure out where you landed.